Featured image: A church partner’s building damaged in the earthquake
Our hearts continue to break as we hear about the ongoing challenges in Haiti: the culmination of a global health crisis, heightened political tensions following the assassination of the country’s president in July, escalating gang violence that’s affected 1.5 million people, the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that struck the southern portion of the country in August, and the tropical storm that followed it.
We grieve with our neighbors in Haiti—and we know that out of our ache, we’re called to respond in love, prayer, immediate action, and ongoing support to help shoulder the burden they are carrying.
Among HOPE International’s partners and the families we serve in Haiti, we’ve received reports of homes that have been damaged or destroyed, churches that have collapsed, and lives that have been lost.
Out of the more than 16,000 savings group members served by our church partners, 71 members lost their lives. We are heartbroken by this news and ask for your prayers—for the families who’ve lost loved ones and our church partners as they seek to minister to those who are grieving.
One of our church partners shared that 70% of its savings groups are located in and around the epicenter of the earthquake. In addition, significant emotional, psychological, and spiritual impacts accompany compounded disruptions like those experienced by our Haitian brothers and sisters.
Through the generosity of several donors, we’ve already sent emergency relief funds to several of our church and local partners. Yet, we know that the recovery effort is ongoing and will require a prayerful and collaborative effort from HOPE and many Kingdom-minded partners.
So how might we uplift the nation and people of Haiti?
1. Pray for HOPE’s church partners and the communities we serve.
- Pray for those who have lost their homes, or whose churches or businesses have collapsed.
- Pray for those who have suffered an injury or have lost a loved one.
- Pray for the nation of Haiti as they seek to care for those who need immediate relief and medical aid.
- Prayer for those in positions of local and national leadership, that they would have wisdom and tenacity as they seek to guide and serve their country.
- Pray for the staff of HOPE’s savings group program in Haiti, our church partners, ministry coordinators, regional coordinators, church facilitators, and savings group members.
- Pray for the women and men who are committed to serving Christ and His church in Haiti and choosing to stay amid uncertainty.
2. Give to NGOs helping to meet immediate needs.
Reports estimate that the earthquake alone has claimed the lives of 2,200 individuals, leftover 12,000 injured, and destroyed the homes of nearly 53,000 families. Please consider supporting these organizations that are already on the ground and mobilizing to provide emergency relief and medical aid.
3. Invest in long-term, sustainable development to help families build resilience and break the cycle of poverty.
While the need for emergency relief lifts, HOPE remains committed to serving families in Haiti as they rebuild their homes, livelihoods, and dreams. We invite you to join us by becoming a Dream Investor. Through an automatic monthly gift, you can help encourage the families HOPE serves in Haiti and around the world with the good news of the Gospel and the tools they need to provide for their families.
Thank you for your prayers and action on behalf of our brothers and sisters in Haiti!